Several weeks ago we received communication from the Bishop requesting all UMC churches in Mississippi cease and desist from in person worship until the new pandemic Taskforce could issue guidance on how to do so safely. On Tuesday, August 4th we received that guidance. Our Leadership Team met Wednesday, August 5th to make plans and approved our plans to return to in person worship Sunday, August 9th for all services. The guidance by the Annual Conference was actually slightly less restrictive on numbers in attendance than our previous protocols. We will be open for you to attend this Sunday with the following slight modifications to our previous plan.
1. All three worship services will be open. There will be two traditional services at 8:30 and 10:45 in the Sanctuary. The modern service will meet in Wesley Hall at 9:30.
2. Capacity in the Sanctuary will be 162. Capacity in Wesley Hall will be 50. No reservations for worship will be needed at this time. Just come.
3. You will still be temperature checked at the door.
4. Masks are required. If you forget yours we will have masks at the door. They should be worn throughout the service.
5. Hand sanitizer will be available.
6. In the Sanctuary you will still be seated in every other row and socially distanced by family groups. In Wesley Hall the chairs will be set up already spaced. Feel free to move them to group by families but continue to keep a 6 ft distance between family groups.
7. You will be provided supplies to clean your area afterwards as a closing act of worship.
8. Bulletins and cleaning supplies must be disposed of by you in waste baskets provided.
9. Offerings may be placed in the baskets located in the back of the sanctuary or Wesley Hall.
10. Bathrooms will be open but only one person at a time unless it is someone who needs assistance in using the facility.
11. We will be working with Sunday school classes over the next 4 weeks to return to in person meetings either outside or off site until we are able to meet in person.
12. Gloves will be available for all those that wish to have them.
We are soooooooooo excited to welcome you back in person to worship!!! But for those that still feel that they are safer at home our Virtual Campus will continue to be fully open. Feel free to tune in to MaplesChurchLive on YouTube or Facebook Live at Maples Memorial United Methodist Church to join us virtually. God is in the midst of this storm and I believe he is going to redeem this moment in an amazing way. Let us all be patient and of good cheer. The best thing of all is God is with us!
Rev. Stephen Sparks
Early Worship Service
Modern Worship Service
[Online & In-Person]
Traditional Worship Service
[Online & In-Person]