The History of Maples
1840: Alan Dupree donated the lot located at what was then the corner of Pigeon Roost and Sandidge Road for the first Methodist Church in Olive Branch. The Rev. Sam Watson, an early settler, was the first minister.
1890: A new lot on Pigeon Roost next to the Baptist Church was purchased for the growing congregation.
1895: A white frame church marked by a tall steeple and bell tower was completed.
1928: The old frame structure gave way to a new brick structure, and the name was changed to Maples Memorial in memory of Dr. C.L. Maples.
1980: Land was purchased on Goodman Road to accommodate the continued growth.
1981: A free standing bell tower was erected to house the long-lost bell from the 1895 building.
1990: Maples Memorial celebrated 150 years of ministry in the Olive Branch area.
August 22, 1993: Ground was broken on the Goodman Road property for a temporary worship center and educational space.
December 11, 1994: The new facility on Goodman Road was consecrated on December 11.
1999: We completed the new sanctuary and more educational space. With our increased space, we are able to provide a home for many community organization such as Boy and Girl Scouts, AA and Al Anon, and T.O.P.S, and partnering with the YMCA.
2013: Membership has increased from 596 in 1994 to 1,278 in 2013
2015: Maples Memorial celebrated 175 years of ministry and was honored to welcome Bishop James Swanson to lead the service.